Lamp upgrade

I got this lamp at a garage sale recently and thought it had some potential so I brought it home and gave it some changes!

First I painted it with some chalk paint I mixed. Chalk paint is one of my new favorite things! I’ve heard a lot of raves from people who use Annie Sloan chalk paint but it’s a bit pricey. Then I read that there are several things you can add to paint to get the same effect. I mixed 1 cup of latex paint, 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris, and 1/3 cup water.

One of the great things about chalk paint is that you don’t have to sand the piece before painting. It also covers alot! With approximately 2 cups of the mixture I painted the lamp, an old suitcase, a chair, a little side-table, and some picture frames.

You can vary the amount of water and Plaster of Paris to get the consistency you want, but I discovered it works best to mix the PP and water before adding the paint. Otherwise I had little clumps of PP in the paint. Also if you add enough water, the brush strokes won’t show up.

Here’s the lamp after (1) the first coat, (2) second coat, (3) and waxing and distressing. . .

After painting the lamp I waxed it with Johnson’s past wax. This is an important step with chalk paint because  the wax hardens the paint and prevents chipping. I rubbed a small amount of wax into the paint with a soft rag. Then I went at it with some sandpaper; that’s always my favorite part!

Now for the lampshade! I didn’t take pictures of this process but I pretty much did it how it looks! Here are the steps I took. . .

  1.  Trace the lampshade onto fabric and add and inch to every side.
  2. Tear a lot of 1″ strips! It takes about one and a half times as much fabric as the piece for your lampshade since the pieces will be overlapped. The strips should be as long as the circumference of the lampshade.
  3. Starting at the bottom, sew the strips onto the piece you cut in step 1. I wanted it to look somewhat random so I didn’t make sure they were all sewn on completely straight, but just made sure all the stitching was covered by the next piece.
  4. After sewing on the strips,  hot-glue the fabric to the lampshade.
  5. And lastly, I added the fabric flowers I made.

Here’s a closer look at the lampshade. . .

So there you go! It took some time, but I like it. 🙂

posted by Keturah.

Advertisements

No Boys Allowed!

I took the girls who are staying on campus on a picnic. And since girls like pretty things, I decided to make it worthwhile. 🙂

I didn’t have a basket, so I used a crate. We filled a blue mason jar with wildflowers we found in the meadow. I reused the bunting Keturah made for a party we had last year. One of the girls said it was there to make it look festive. 🙂 A glass milk bottle for water, a slate for the menu, and wax paper wrapped sandwiches.

The big picture…

A little closer…

Pulled pork sandwiches wrapped in wax paper and twine.

Woodland Terrarium

All you need for this project is a bottle, a woods, and a few creative juices.

I found five girls, ages 6-10, Starbucks frappuccino bottles, and a trail in the Erie Wildlife Refuge.

We had lots of fun looking for tiny things that would fit in the bottles.

We collected moss, tiny ferns, baby trees, sticks, pinecones, ivy… I loved seeing their creativity!

We stuck our plants into the moss and jammed the moss in the jar with a fork. These little ecosystems take care of themselves. Just don’t put them in too much sunlight or there will be too much condensation.