Lamp upgrade

I got this lamp at a garage sale recently and thought it had some potential so I brought it home and gave it some changes!

First I painted it with some chalk paint I mixed. Chalk paint is one of my new favorite things! I’ve heard a lot of raves from people who use Annie Sloan chalk paint but it’s a bit pricey. Then I read that there are several things you can add to paint to get the same effect. I mixed 1 cup of latex paint, 1/3 cup Plaster of Paris, and 1/3 cup water.

One of the great things about chalk paint is that you don’t have to sand the piece before painting. It also covers alot! With approximately 2 cups of the mixture I painted the lamp, an old suitcase, a chair, a little side-table, and some picture frames.

You can vary the amount of water and Plaster of Paris to get the consistency you want, but I discovered it works best to mix the PP and water before adding the paint. Otherwise I had little clumps of PP in the paint. Also if you add enough water, the brush strokes won’t show up.

Here’s the lamp after (1) the first coat, (2) second coat, (3) and waxing and distressing. . .

After painting the lamp I waxed it with Johnson’s past wax. This is an important step with chalk paint because  the wax hardens the paint and prevents chipping. I rubbed a small amount of wax into the paint with a soft rag. Then I went at it with some sandpaper; that’s always my favorite part!

Now for the lampshade! I didn’t take pictures of this process but I pretty much did it how it looks! Here are the steps I took. . .

  1.  Trace the lampshade onto fabric and add and inch to every side.
  2. Tear a lot of 1″ strips! It takes about one and a half times as much fabric as the piece for your lampshade since the pieces will be overlapped. The strips should be as long as the circumference of the lampshade.
  3. Starting at the bottom, sew the strips onto the piece you cut in step 1. I wanted it to look somewhat random so I didn’t make sure they were all sewn on completely straight, but just made sure all the stitching was covered by the next piece.
  4. After sewing on the strips,  hot-glue the fabric to the lampshade.
  5. And lastly, I added the fabric flowers I made.

Here’s a closer look at the lampshade. . .

So there you go! It took some time, but I like it. 🙂

posted by Keturah.

Advertisements

3 thoughts on “Lamp upgrade

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s