First I was imagining an off-white dress. I knew there would be lace somewhere. But I had a problem. All I was finding was bright white stuff. The off-white stuff didn’t feel child-friendly. It wasn’t working into the vintage dress I had in mind.
I was a little nervous about throwing the whole piece into the water, but that’s what I ended up doing. I boiled a pot of water with two tea bags. The fabric was only in the water for 3-4 minutes, just enough to take away the clean white look.
Next, I threw it in the dryer on high heat until it was dry. I washed the dress when I was finished and it didn’t fade.
I used a Kwik-Sew pattern, but any bodice pattern would do. I added to the bodice to make a long dress. The sides were flared a bit to give her room to move. The tucks were sewn before the bodice was cut. I sewed lace to the collar. The dress was hemmed with lace. I sewed two tucks along the bottom, and sewed lace in the top tuck.
Finally I made a headband. I used cotton yarn. It was a two inch band with simple crochet back and forth. I joined it at 12 inches, the size I found for 0-3 months. The flower was a 1 inch strip of fabric folded in half. I started by bunching it up on top of a circle of fabric. I sewed that down and twisted the fabric as I went around. Try it sometime, it’s much simpler than it sounds. 🙂
One other thing I did… I’ve been printing on fabric. It’s really easy and fun if you have an ink jet printer. Print it first on paper, then tape your fabric securely over the printed word or phrase. After it’s printed, iron it with high heat. It’s a personal, professional touch.